2-3 oz. fresh pea shoots
2 lbs. asparagus, blanched, and cut and chopped
1 lb. black beans, prepared
Burr Oak ( or other drier aged cheese), coarsely grated
salt (we recommend Himalayan pink)
freshly cracked pepper
7 Easy Steps
1. Prepare black beans. Soak for 8 hours, drain, add fresh water and boil until tender ( 1-2 hours).
2. Cool with cold running water or overnight in fridge.
3. Blanch asparagus for a minute or two in boiling water. It should remain bright green.
4. Plunge into ice water bath to stop it from cooking. Drain well. Chop. Set aside.
5. Coarsely chop the pea shoots and arrange on serving platter or plates.
6. Top with the asparagus and black beans, strewn evenly over. Drizzle with olive oil.
7. Add the grated cheese, and salt. Add a small amount of cracked pepper.
Optionally, you can sprinkle with a little vinegar for brightness, I prefer sherry or wine vinegar.
Adapted from a recipe online at Food 52.