With Chef Stefani Paganini out of town this week, Dan Deely wanted to share his recipe for Cilantro-Lime Grilled Shrimp and Brown Rice, Tomatoes and Basil.
Brown Rice, Tomato and Basil (recipe from FoodNetwork.com)
1 cup Texmati brown rice
2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1/4 cup Champagne or rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon good olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1 pound ripe tomatoes, large-diced
1 cup packed basil leaves (1 large bunch), chopped
Bring 2 1/4 cups water to a boil and add the rice and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Return to a boil, cover, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until the rice is tender and all the water is absorbed. Transfer the rice to a bowl.
Whisk together the vinegar, sugar, olive oil, remaining teaspoon of salt, and a pinch of pepper. Pour over the rice. Add the tomatoes and basil. Mix well and check the seasonings. Serve at room temperature.
Cilantro-Lime Grilled Shrimp (recipe from ClosetCooking.com)
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 limes, juice and zest or 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Marinate the shrimp in the mixture of the lime juice, zest, oil, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, salt and pepper for 30 minutes.
- Skewer the shrimp and grill over medium-high heat until cooked, about 2-3 minutes per side.