Makes 2 cakes each can serve 8-12
2 large eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups AP flour
1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple with liquid
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon ground ginger
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
½ cup finely chopped maraschino cherries
toasted coconut flakes
Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
2. Prepare two 8x2 baking pans by greasing it with butter and flour and placing a parchment round in the center.
3. Cream together sugar and eggs. Add vanilla and pineapple with juice.
4. In a bowl mix together flour and baking soda, salt, and ginger.
5. Add flour mixture to egg mixture until incorporated. Do not overmix.
6. Fold in cherries.
7. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
8. Bake until golden brown and spongy firmness in center, approximately 20-30 minutes.
Coconut Rum Cream Cheese Frosting.
8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
4 oz. unsalted butter (1 stick), softened
1 cup powdered sugar (can use more if needed)
2 Tablespoon coconut rum
Whip together all ingredients until reach desired frosting consistency. To Decorate Cake: Spread frosting over cooled pineapple cake. Garnish with toasted coconut flakes. Place cake in refrigerator to chill. Serve cold.